Video Recording for Annual Conference

|


Bishop Bledsoe and members of the North Texas Annual Conference, it is a blessing to be standing here today as I prepare to be ordained as an Elder in full connection in this Annual Conference. Eleven years ago, I started on this journey toward ordained ministry at Perkins School of Theology with the hope and dream of this moment. Over those eleven years, the congregations of First United Methodist Church in Gainesville and Grace United Methodist Church in Sherman have helped me develop as a student, candidate and provisional member of the Annual Conference. With their participation and the strong leadership of colleagues like Joe Pool, Roy Spore, Mary Beth Hardesty-Crouch, Mike Haynes, Keith Head and Tommy Brumett, I have learned valuable lessons in ministry, some of which include how to present a creative and clear presentation of the Gospel, how to live out a ministry with integrity, and how to partner with laity to reach out to the local community and the world. Each lesson built and solidified my hope and dream of becoming an elder.
Of course, I am extremely thankful for the love and support I have received from my family, especially my wife Tracy and our children Deborah, Timothy and Jacob. You have stood beside me in both joyous and difficult times and you have always game me daily encouragement. I love you all.
As I complete this chapter in my journey, I know that the work God has before me and this annual conference is far from over.  With the dream of ordination coming to fruition, more hopes and dreams take its place as I continue on this journey of faith.
First, as we continue to figure out how we can best equip clergy and laity for the task of Making Disciples for the transformation of the world, my hope is that we don’t surrender our devotion to our First Love, Jesus Christ. While we continue to seek to be an effective witness to the Gospel, we must continue to seek the will and way of Jesus Christ even when that way is difficult and filled with trials.  We must always seek the guidance of Christ.
Second, I hope that as we continue to align ourselves to the four areas of focus set out by our Bishops, let us grasp hold of the promise that God gave Joshua shortly after he took leadership of the nation of Israel as they prepared to march into the promise land. Joshua 1:9 says, “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” As Joshua was called to lead the Israelites into an unfamiliar land, God called on him to be strong and courageous and to know that God was before God’s people as they moved into this new land.
Members of the North Texas conference, God is calling us as Christ’s church to move forward, with strength and courage as we continue to explore new ministries, developing new leaders, while ministering to the poor, sick and marginalized.  When we do this, we have that same assurance from God, that God will be with us, wherever we go. May we move ahead in faith, knowing that God moves before us as we reach out to share a living Christ with a hurt and broken world. Thank you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©2009 FM 544 & Alanis | Template Blue by TNB