New Appointment... New Church

|

It's been over a month since I passed my P&Q interview. In this past month a lot has happened. I have had the blessing to celebrate my passing with my Lay Teaching Committee, I have baptized two infants, and I have received my new appointment.


I've been relatively silent about the new appointment because it has taken a few weeks for the appointment to become official (as official as it can until the Bishop reads the appointments on the last day of Annual Conference on June 7). Officially, the new appointment won't take place until July 1.


My new appointment... I will be an Associate Pastor/Church Planter at FUMC Rowlett. My task will be to start a new United Methodist Church in the North Rowlett/South East Wylie, Texas area. My family is excited about this new opportunity and I'm excited to move into a new area and share Christ with new people.


As I think about the church plant. I wanted to set down some preliminary (vision points) for the new church. (In future post, I will elaborate on these "vision points")

1. I want those involved in the new church to live out "The Great Commandment"
You must love the Lord your God with your whole heart, with your whole being, and with your whole mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: You must love your neighbor as you love yourselfAll the Law and the Prophets depend on these two commands.” Matthew 22:37-40 CEB



2. I want the new church to be serious and intentional about prayer.


3. I want the new church to see "The Great Commission" as our primary task.
"Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey everything that I’ve commanded you. Look, I myself will be with you every day until the end of this present age.” Matthew 28: 19-20 CEB



This is my first stab at what I would like my church to be. I know that the most important aspect about this new church is that I know the community. I am looking forward to getting to know the community of North Rowlett/Southeast Wylie and seeing where Christ is already at work in peoples lives and help develop relationships with Jesus Christ.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©2009 FM 544 & Alanis | Template Blue by TNB