Intercessory Prayer Team

|

I just finished reading a book by Jim Griffith and Bill Easum titled Ten Most Common Mistakes made by New Church Starts. This book was given to me by Jim Ozier who is the Director of the North Texas Conference's New Church Development Center.


As I read through this book, I took a lot of great notes and have already started to implement some of the suggestions supplied by Griffith and Easum.  One of the most important implementations had to do with prayer.  When I first met with Jim, I started to do prayer drives. Almost every morning on my way to Sherman, I drive through the mission field praying for the community. This is what the community looks like.



As of right now, the target area is located at 544 and Alanis Dr. in Wylie, Tx. (top marker). First Rowlett has also identified a place that is in the Waterview area. (bottom marker). I have been driving, praying and talking to people in this area and I'm already feeling a connection to this location.

The second implementation started to take shape today.  Griffith and Easum talked about Spiritual Warfare. Because this is a church plant that will connect people with Jesus Christ, Satan will be working hard against it. They write, "You'll find yourself confronted on every level -- culturally, spiritually, theologically, and politically." Then they make this distinction. " The opposition isn't about you the planter -- it's about the Kingdom. you must never blink! Remember, 'Perfect love drives out fear' (1 John 4:18). Your role is to prepare for it so it doesn't take you by surprise." (Griffith and Easum page 18-19 italics mine)

Their recommendation is to set up an intercessory prayer team. I am already impressed that First Rowlett takes prayer seriously and I am doing my part to make sure prayer is an important aspect of this plant.  They stress that the intercessory prayer team shouldn't be connected to the church plant so I can share my heart and concerns openly with this team.  I have identified four people (for now) for this prayer team and I have had confirmation from three of them.  Here is the story.

I had a woman from Grace UMC already in mind when I went to church this morning. I tried to talk to her between services and was interrupted by another member and told her I would talk to her following late service.  After the late service I walked up to her and she was standing next to another woman who I knew believed in the power of prayer.  I asked both of them if they would like to be a part of my intercessory prayer team.  They both said yes and I asked them to go ahead and start praying, their answer... We already have been praying for you.  As we were wrapping up our conversation, I saw another woman who is a prayer warrior and I asked her if she would be on my prayer team.  Without hesitation, she said yes with tears running down her cheeks because I asked her to be a part of this special ministry.  Once again I asked her to start praying for me... her answer... I already have been praying for you.  I don't think I could have asked for more perfect people to be a part of this special ministry. 

I have absolutely felt God's hand as I drive around the mission area and as I set up this prayer team. I know that God has great things in store for this church plant and I'm looking forward to this great adventure.

Thanks be to God!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©2009 FM 544 & Alanis | Template Blue by TNB