Question 3 & 4

|

3. What is your understanding of humanity, and the human need for divine grace?
Our lives are a gift from God. When God created the world, God created humanity to enjoy the creation around them. In doing this, God gave humanity free will so we could make our own decisions. It is through the creation of humankind that completed the wonderful creation of the world in Genesis 1 where God saw that his creation was “very good.”[1]
From the time that sin entered the world, humanity has taken the gift of free will and misused it to advance humanity’s own agenda. Fulfilling our own desires led to destruction and even more separation from our Creator. We have tried to bridge the gap between God and ourselves but have failed because of our sinful state, falling short no matter what we try to do.
Because we are not capable by ourselves to reconnect with God, God sent Jesus Christ to die on the cross to serve as the bridge between God and us. This divine grace from God justifies us as if we have never been separated from God’s presence. God’s grace allows us to stand before God even in our fallen nature and be acceptable to God. This divine grace is evident in the letter Paul wrote to the Ephesians where he writes, “But God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ – by grace you have been saved…”[2]
This divine grace is not given because we are worthy of it, but the divine grace is given because of God’s love and mercy for humanity. Without this mercy from God, we would never be able to match up to God’s perfect standard.


4. How do you interpret the statement Jesus Christ is Lord?
In the book of Revelation Jesus says, “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.”[3] With this declaration, we see that Christ has been an active part of creation. We experience Christ’s presence with us during the time he was on earth. We experience Christ’s power and forgiveness in our lives today. In addition, we look forward to the end of the earth when Christ will come to judge the world and usher in a new heaven and new earth.
When I think about the statement that Jesus Christ is Lord in my life, I am reminded of the sacrifice that Jesus Christ made for me. That sacrifice was not made in order for me to do whatever I please, but that sacrifice was made in order for me to have a closer relationship with God and to place my trust in God. The sacrifice is only possible because of Christ’s perfect state, “and having been made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him.”[4]
Because of what Christ has done for me, He is the Lord of my life and I live my life to be in service to Christ. It is because of Christ’s example of serving others that I as a follower of Christ must take on the mantle of a servant and not boast in what I have done, but as Paul writes in 2 Corinthians, “let my boast be in the Lord.”[5]
With Jesus Christ as my Lord, I release control of my life and place my life under Christ’s authority. There is a song that we sing at our church titled “Holiness.” In the chorus of this song the prayer is that Christ will “take my heart, and form it; take my mind, transform it; take my will, conform it; to yours, to yours, oh Lord.”[6]
For me, the ordination process is a continuing journey to allow Christ to be my Lord, even though life has presented several challenges where I could have given up on my call. Through all of the great ministry moments like mission trips, and watching people grow in their faith, as well as going through all of the struggles of ministry including conflict and lack of confidence, I know that Jesus has been with me. As I live my life with Jesus as my Lord, I have been able to move through life and ministry with perseverance, integrity and hope that Christ will always guide me in my journey of faith. It is my prayer that as a person who has submitted his life to Christ that every moment of my life I live fully surrendered to the authority of Christ and live in the ways that Christ has called me to live.
[1] Genesis 1:31 NRSV
[2] Ephesians 2: 4 – 5 NRSV
[3] Revelation 22:13 NRSV
[4] Hebrews 5:9 NRSV
[5] 2 Corinthians 10:17 NRSV
[6] “Holiness”, Scott Underwood, 1995 Mercy/Vineyard Publishing

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©2009 FM 544 & Alanis | Template Blue by TNB