Ordination Questions 4 - 6

|

4. The United Methodist Church holds that Scripture, tradition, experience, and reason are sources and norms for belief and practice, but that the Bible is primary among them. What is your understanding of this theological position of the Church?
Using the sources of Scripture, tradition, experience and reason we are able to see the entire picture when we participate in theological discourse.  Our theological task always is based in scripture; we read that “All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness.”[1]  When we look at scripture, we see who we really are. We see ourselves as individuals who are in need of divine grace.  This is evident as we contemplate our sense of brokenness as we see our own lives in the characters of scriptures.  
In order to live faithfully to Scripture, we understand that we don’t live our lives in a vacuum with Scripture.  “…Our attempts to grasp its (Scripture) meaning always involve tradition, experience, and reason.”[2] In his book Orthodoxy, G.K. Chesterton wrote, “I did not make it. God and humanity made it; and it made me.”[3] It is the faith of our forbearers that help shape and guide our own theological reflection.  We grow in our understanding of God as we recite the ancient creeds and confessions.  We experience the witness of the hymn writers when we sing their statements of faith.  Reflecting on tradition helps us see how God has moved through God’s people in the past and helps us to see how the Church has grown in our understanding of God today.
With the lens of tradition, we also rely on our experience and reason.  God is active in our lives and in the world around us. It is through the experiences we’ve had that we are able to point to what God has done in our lives.  When we are able to share how God is active in our lives, then we share that experience with others so they can see God actively moving in the world around us.
This is one of the main reasons why I like to be active in ministry with my congregation. Recently on a senior high mission trip, we had a client night where the people whose homes we were working on had a chance to address the youth who had been working on their houses all week.  One elderly woman whose siding we replaced came and talked about seeing God in the youth that week as they repaired and painted her house.  At that moment, the youth were encouraged and strengthened as they grew as disciples of Jesus Christ.  The experience of having that client express how God was working through them allowed them to see God work through her as she encouraged them in their faith journey.
Reason is important because it is used to make sure that our witness to Christ is true and clear.  Throughout the course of history, people have used Scripture, tradition and experience to abuse, manipulate and mischaracterize the Gospel of Christ for their own advantages.  When we understand and use the reason that God has given us, we make sure that our actions and beliefs are in accordance with God’s will.[4]


5. How do you understand the following traditional evangelical doctrines: (a) repentance; (b) justification; (c) regeneration; (d) sanctification? What are the marks of the Christian life?
The understanding of repentance lies in our understanding of God’s prevenient grace. We come to repentance because of the work God is already doing in the world around us and in our lives. The Psalmist reminds us, “If I ascend to heaven, you are there; if I make my bed in Sheol, you are there. If I take the wings of the morning and settle at the farthest limits of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me fast.”[5] God is always actively involved the world around us, constantly showing us love and mercy.  Repentance occurs when we become aware of God’s activity in and around us and we then turn from our sinful ways to live life differently, embracing the grace that God has given us.
Justification is God continuing to extend grace to humanity through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.  When we are justified, we are set right with God.  We are then set free from the bondage of sin to a life of freedom in Christ Jesus. Justification is something humanity cannot grasp on humanity’s own merit. Paul writes, “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God – not the result of works, so that no one may boast.”[6]
Regeneration is new birth. New birth occurs at the same time as justification with a major distinction.  Justification is something God has done for us, while regeneration is something God does within us.[7] It is what Christ shared with Nicodemus when he came to Christ in the middle of the night in John.[8]  Through regeneration, we are new creations.  As Paul writes, we are changed: “So if anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation: everything old has passed away; see, everything has become new!”[9]
However, God is not finished with us after regeneration.  We continue to grow in our love of God and love of neighbor, through sanctification.  Sanctification is a continuous work of grace that sets us apart from our sinful nature by changing us into Christ’s likeness.  It is through sanctification that we continue our growth as God’s people. Romans 12 says, “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God — what is good and acceptable and perfect.”[10] Even though we will be tempted by the things of this world, God gives us sanctifying grace so we are strengthened “to increase in the knowledge and love of God and in love for our neighbor.”[11]
             The marks of a Christian life are the visible changes that we see in ourselves. Because of what God has done for us, we then are called to action in response.  We show that response by letting our actions reflect the grace God has given us.  Paul wrote, “Let love be genuine; hate what is evil, hold fast to what is good;”[12] In my ministry, I follow Paul’s words by being a grace extender, extending the grace God has given us to the world around us.
6. For the sake of the mission of Jesus Christ in the world and the most effective witness to the Christian gospel and in consideration of your influence as an ordained minister, are you willing to make a complete dedication of yourself to the highest ideals of the Christian life; and to this end will you agree to exercise responsible self-control by personal habits conducive to physical health, intentional intellectual development, fidelity in marriage and celibacy in singleness, integrity in all personal relationships, social responsibility, and growth in grace and the knowledge and love of God?
As a called and ordained person of the word, I know that I have a responsibility to live my life in a way that reflects God’s love and grace to those who see my witness of Christ.  Romans 12 tell us “to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what the will of God— what is good and acceptable and perfect.”[13]
One of the ways that I can accomplish this witness is to live out the General Rules: “Do no harm…. Do good… and attending upon all the ordinances of God…”[14] By following these three rules established by John Wesley I am striving to live my life ever mindful of how I can be readily available first to God in my life, but also how I can serve my family and neighbor. By exercising responsible self-control, I am maintaining habits that aid me in doing no harm.  This includes what I consume in food and drink, but also what I choose to place in my mind. Paul reminds us that, ““All things are lawful for me," but not all things are beneficial. "All things are lawful for me," but I will not be dominated by anything.””[15] Making a commitment to do no harm acknowledges that there are several things that will compete for my attention. What I eat or what I allow to occupy my time maybe lawful, but it could be at an expense to my own health and my relationships.
By doing good, I am living out Jesus’ command to love our neighbor as ourselves.[16] As a Christian, I am called to help those in need and make myself available to those in my family and those who I am in relationship with.  By doing good, I am committed to take care of myself both physically and mentally to maintain my physical and mental health.  Over the past year, I have really made the effort to take care of myself physically.  Recently, I lost over 40 pounds by eating healthy and becoming more physically active.  I was able to accomplish this by joining with my wife in a weight loss program that helped us evaluate our eating habits and maintaining healthy lifestyles.  After accomplishing my weight loss goal, I started doing more vigorous exercises and, along with several church members, I competed in my first 5k run in Sherman. I plan to continue this type of exercise so I can do what I need to do in order to take care of myself physically.
Finally I vow to continue to attend upon the ordinances of God.  In order to maintain my spiritual and physical health, I must continue to live in relationship with the One who has created me.  By actively practicing the spiritual disciplines I am building on my commitment to allow my relationship with Jesus Christ to guide my ministry and my relationships.


[1] 2 Timothy 3:16 NRSV
[2] ¶104 United Methodist Book of Discipline pg. 79
[3] Chesterton, G.K., Orthodoxy San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 1995 p. 13
[4] Jones, Scott J. United Methodist Doctrine: The Extreme Center, Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2002 p. 140
[5] Psalm 139:8-10 NRSV
[6] Ephesians 2:8-9 NRSV
[7] Jones, Scott J. United Methodist Doctrine: The Extreme Center, Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2002 p. 202
[8] John 3:3-8
[9] 2 Corinthians 5:17 NRSV
[10] Romans 12:2 NRSV
[11] BOD ¶101
[12] Romans 12:8 NRSV
[13] Romans 12:1-2 NRSV
[14] ¶103 United Methodist Book of Discipline
[15] 1 Corinthians 6:12 NRSV
[16] Matthew 22:39

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©2009 FM 544 & Alanis | Template Blue by TNB