Jury Duty, Dallas and Sermon

|

It is time for my weekly blog. I should be focusing on my sermon, but it helps me to think while I'm preparing and I know I need to write to keep my weekly blogging up.


Yesterday I had Jury Duty and it turned into a two day experience. I'm thankful for the opportunity to be a part of our legal system, but I wonder if there is a way to do it better. We did have one person on our 15 person panel complain because he had to return today, but everyone else seemed to go with the punches and sit through the whole ordeal as 2 cases were settled right before their jury trial. I'm glad that the possible seating of a jury helped settle two cases, but it is sad that two cases that should have been settled before had to go that far and cost tax payers an extra $690.00. Our Judge told us that we actually saved the county of Dallas money because these cases were now off the docket. So I'm glad I was able to do my part.

One aspect of the past two days is that I had the chance to be in Downtown Dallas. I don't know if I get star struck, (possibly city struck is a better term), but walking around in the big downtown area just fills me up in a giddy way. The history of JFK, looking up and seeing the building that I took my lovely bride to the top of and asked her to marry me are just a couple of reasons that enlivens me as I walk the downtown streets. I'm thankful that I'm here and thankful that I have that experience.

I'm preaching on Sunday, my text is Acts 17:19-34. I am answering the question, "how do we share God's Word with the secular world." At first, I thought it was an easy question, but I need to get across the balance between being separate from the world but yet minister to the world. As Christians, we can't ignore the pain and suffering of the world, but we must live a life worthy of the one who called us His children. Help me to focus and to share.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©2009 FM 544 & Alanis | Template Blue by TNB